Scalp micropigmentation aftercare is an essential part of ensuring that the treatment is effective and free from complications. The specialist who performs the treatment should give you a full run-down of how to take care of your head in the weeks afterwards.
How Long Does Scalp Micropigmentation Take to Heal?
With proper scalp micropigmentation aftercare, the healing process should take about two weeks. There’s no “set” time limit – everyone’s skin is different. Sensitive skin may take longer to heal, and some people experience more discomfort than others during this time.
Disrupting the healing process can make the treatment less effective and result in a patchy finish. It’s a good idea to plan and book some time off — your scalp micropigmentation aftercare routine could disrupt some parts of your daily routine.
What Should I Do after Scalp Micropigmentation?
- Keep your head dry for the first few days. Don’t wash the top of your head for at least four days after treatment. You can still shower, but it’s better to take short, cool showers to avoid a “steam room” effect. Heat and humidity will loosen the pigment and cause faster fading.
- Opt for loose-fitting hats. You can wear a hat after your treatment, but try to avoid tight-fitting or hard hats. This can help prevent your head from itching.
- Use natural, antibacterial soap when you wash your head. After 4-5 days, you can gently wash your scalp with non-abrasive soap. Try to avoid anything containing strong chemicals.
What Should I Not Do after Scalp Micropigmentation?
- Itch your head. The biggest no-no of scalp micropigmentation aftercare is scratching the itch. Your head is scarring, so it will be itchy. Scratching will damage the treatment.
- Exercise or sweat excessively. Try to avoid anything that will cause excessive sweating. Overactive pores can ruin the treatment.
- Moisturize too much. The professional who performs your treatment might recommend a gentle moisturizer, but you should use it sparingly in thin layers.
- Shave your head until the two weeks are almost up. It can be tempting to shave to see how the treatment looks – but be patient. Wait until the scarring has healed before checking the results.
Sticking to Your Aftercare
Nobody likes an itch that they can’t scratch. Still, you need to give yourself time to heal before you enjoy the fantastic effects of micropigmentation – good things come to those who wait. And you’ll love the results.